1. Be prepared
2. Know what to do
- Buy syrup of IPECAC and have it ready in case of a poisoning. Syrup of IPECAC is a medicine that can induce vomiting. Use it only when instructed by the Poison Control Center or a physician.
- Post the Poison Control Center phone number by every phone in your home.
If you suspect your child has ingested a harmful substance, ACT FAST!
Do not wait for symptoms to appear. Look for these signs:
- Pills, berries, etc. in the mouth
- Strange odor on breath
- Burns around the mouth
- Upset stomach or nausea
- Dizziness or unconsciousness
3. Phone for help; Call the Poison Control Center at once!
The phone number is 1-800-332-3073.
If you can't reach them, call your local hospital (970-945-6535), or the emergency operator.
- Stay calm.
- Bring the empty container with you to the phone. If possible, bring the child, too. Don't leave the child near the poison.
- Be ready to answer questions about the poison (name, amount taken, etc.) and the child's age and weight.
- Follow instructions exactly. Ask questions if you don't understand something.
- Don't try to make the person vomit unless specifically told to do so. Do not stick your finger down the person's throat or give anything by mouth, unless instructed to do so by medical or Poison Control Center personnel.