1. Choose safe products
2. Store products safely
- Request "safety-lock", child-proof caps on all prescription drugs.
- Read the label before you buy. Choose the safest product you can find for the job.
- Check on the safety of plants in your home and yard. The leaves,
seeds and stems of some plants, such as foxglove,
can be fatal.
3. Use Products Safely
medicines, vitamins, household cleaning products, garden products,
alcoholic beverages and garage products out of reach and out of sight.
Such items should be kept locked up whenever possible.
- Never store food and household cleaners together.
- Always store medicines in their original containers and throw out old medicines.
all products in their original containers, with the labels intact.
Never use milk, soft drink or other food containers for storage.
- Return products to safe storage as soon as you finish using them. Always replace covers tightly.
- Keep your purse out of reach of children and pets. Avoid storing
medicines, vitamins, cigarettes and perfume
in your purse.
- Never call medicine or vitamins "candy."
- Do not take medicine in front of your child.
- Teach children never to take medicine unless you give it to them.
- Always turn on a light and read the directions before taking any medicine.
- Teach children never to put berries, leaves or branches in their
mouth. Some can be very poisonous.
the directions and labels of products and follow them carefully. Pay
attention to ventilation warnings and storage directions.
- If you are interrupted while using a medicine or
household product and must leave the area, take the product or child
with you. It only takes a few seconds for your child to get into a