Before calling your doctor, have a pencil and paper ready and the following information (except in emergencies):
- Your child’s main symptoms
Note: If your child has a chronic disease, be sure to mention it.
- Your child’s temperature (if he or she is sick) and how you measured it.
- Your child’s approximate weight (needed for calculating drug dosages)
- The names and dosages of any medication your child is taking
- Your pharmacy’s telephone number
- Your questions written down
Have your child nearby in case something needs to be checked.
Written by Barton D. Schmitt, MD, author of “My Child Is Sick”, American Academy of Pediatrics Books. Published by RelayHealth.
Last modified: 2010-06-03
Last reviewed: 2010-06-02 This content is reviewed periodically and is subject to change as new health information becomes available. The information is intended to inform and educate and is not a replacement for medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. Pediatric Advisor 2011.4 Index
© 2011 RelayHealth and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.